Public Records Request

Requesting a Public Record

The Town Clerk is the official custodian of all public records, except criminal justice records as defined by C.R.S. § 24-72-302, and will process all requests for public records pursuant to C.R.S. Section 24-72-203(1)(a) of the Public Records Act (the “Act”). A Public Records Request form must be filed with the Town Clerk to initiate a request for public records. This policy applies to public records of the Town and the Firestone Urban Renewal Authority.


The Town Clerk will notify the applicant of the completion of process of a public records request, the availability of the public records, and the cost of service, including copying charges for any requested copies and research or other fees. Records subject to nondisclosure by law or under the act will be withheld from inspection as provided by the Act. The Town has three working days to process requests, and in extenuating circumstances, up to seven working days to respond to open records requests.


Fees for public records will be calculated based on the fee schedule below for the cost of copies and staff research time in processing a records request. If the estimated cost of copying exceeds $10, the Town Clerk will require the requestor to deposit the full amount of the estimate prior to fulfilling the request. The Town will return any amount of the deposit which is in excess of the actual charge, and shall collect any amount by which the actual charge exceeds the amount deposited. Copying costs and research fees must be paid in full prior to the times copies are made or the records are provided to the requestor.

  • Photo copies - $0.25 per page
  • Telefaxed copies/certified copies - $1.25 per page 
  • Research and Retrieval Fee - If the request takes more than one (1) hour to complete, the Town will charge $30 for each additional hour spent. 
  • Fees for Map Copies The following fees are for reproduction of color, GIS, or other non-standard maps, which require use of a plotter or use of a large format copier:
  • 8.5” X 11” - $10
    11” X 17” - $13
    18” X 24” - $16
    24” X 36” - $20
    36” X 58” - $25
  • Postage/Mailing fees - Actual cost applicable on mail requests
  • Photographs - $15 plus cost of copies
  • Video Tape/DVD - $15 per tape/DVD
  • Audio Tape/CD - $15 - $66* per tape/CD (*recorded in ¼ time)
  • Notary fee - $1.25 per page

The fees set forth above are subject to change without notice. Fees are to be paid at the time of service or when documents are made available for copying or inspection, except that the Court/Police Clerk may require an advance deposit of research fees for research estimated to be in excess of two hours for complying with a request. Copying cost must be paid prior to the times copies are made and provided to the requestor. The above fees are adopted pursuant to Colorado law, including but not limited to, C.R.S. Sections 16-22-108, 24-72-303(1) and 24-72-306.