Volunteer Victim Advocates work as a liaison with officers and detectives immediately after an incident to provide support services to those impacted by crime or tragedy. These support services include providing crisis intervention, emotional support, victim rights information, and referrals to other local resources which may be able to provide on-going support and assistance.
Minimum requirements include:
- Be at least 21 years old
- Pass background check and be drug free
- Required to complete a 40-hour Training Academy
- Must be able to volunteer four 12-hour shifts per month
- Attend monthly volunteer meeting
- Have reliable transportation and phone service
- One-year commitment to the program
- Demonstrate compassion, empathy, and integrity
The next Volunteer Victim Advocate Academy will begin in January 2023.