Parks, Trails, Recreation and Open Space Commission
Application Period is now Closed
More information about the next steps in appointment members will be shared soon.
During the July 26, 2023, Board of Trustees meeting, the Board approved an ordinance to establish and update the bylaws of the Parks, Trails, Recreation and Open Space Commission. In 2001, the Town established a Parks, Trails and Recreation Advisory Board and the duties and procedures have not been significantly amended since that time. The Board of Trustees desired to update the procedures and ensure that this group could assist the Board of Trustees in evaluating current needs and issues regarding its parks, trails, open space, and recreation facilities. Read the approved ordinance here Version OptionsParks, Trails, Recreation and Open Space CommissionHeadline.
The Commission will consist of seven Town residents appointed by the Board of Trustees to serve for two-year terms. The Board of Trustees will also appoint a liaison and alternate liaison to the Commission from their members.
The Commission shall serve in an advisory capacity to the Board of Trustees and have the following duties:
- Review the Town's Parks, Open Space and Trails ("POST") master plan and provide comments and recommendations to the Board of Trustees regarding the implementation, administration, effectiveness, concerns, and amendment of POST;
- Ensure that all members are knowledgeable of the processes, procedures and requirements of Section 16.6.3 Parks Open Space and Trails of the Firestone Development Code ("FDC") as amended and provide comments and recommendations to the Board of Trustees regarding the implementation, administration, effectiveness, and concerns of such section of the FDC.
- Establish a forum for community input regarding parks, trails, open space, and recreation matters and report such input to the Board of Trustees in periodic reports;
- Inquire as to and report to the Board of Trustees regarding grants, gifts, endowments, donations and other funding sources which may be used for the Town's parks, trails, open space and recreation facilities;
- Interact with the Carbon Valley Parks and Recreation District regarding the District's plans, programs, services and facilities which impact the Town's parks, trails, open space and recreation facilities and advise the Board of Trustees of matters of mutual interest and concern; and
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Board of Trustees.